Monday, June 23, 2008

Ho Hum & UMM

Nothing exciting has happened since I last posted. I've just been doing housework....Ho Hum!

For those of you who don't know, Mark has been the Cubmaster of our Cub Scout Pack (that meets at our church) for the past 6 years. He allowed each Den leader to decide whether they wanted to have their Den continue to meet every Monday night during the Summer. The Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Den Leaders decided to break for the Summer, but the Webelos Den Leaders decided to continue to meet. However, the Cub Scouts are still having a Pack Meeting once a month, plus they're having an outing once a month as well.

This month our Cub Pack went camping Friday night (June 13th) at Fort Clinch State Park, up in Fernandina Beach. Then on Saturday the Pack participated in a Fishing Clinic sponsored by the State Parks. The Fishing Clinic was open to any child under the age of 12. The Fishing Clinic was held at the old Nassau Sound Bridge. Each child was taught how to cast, how to tie a fishing knot, how to bait a hook, how to handle a fish if you're going to release it again ( so that you don't harm it), and were taught about other sea life (such as, crabs, coral, starfish, etc.). Each child that participated in the Fishing Clinic got a "good quality," new rod 'n reel. Needless to say, the Fishing Clinic is very popular each year that it is held. That's why our Pack decided to camp out at Ft. Clinch the night before...so they could be some of the first ones in line for the Fishing Clinic. One of our boys caught a good size Whiting fish. A good time was had by all.

In July our Cub Pack has decided to go to Adventure Landing on Beach Blvd. There's a water park there, plus they can play miniature golf and play arcade games.

Mark went to the United Methodist Men's meeting tonight. The UMM meets every 4th Monday of each month. Mark usually is helping out with the Cub Scouts when the UMM meet, but he made it to their meeting tonight. The UMM, as in years past, are sponsoring any Cub Scout that wants to go to Summer Camp. Most of the boys in our Cub Pack come from a low-income area, so not all of them can afford to pay their own way to Boy Scout Summer Camps. There are 6 Cub Scouts in our Pack this year that are going to Summer Camp thanks to the UMM!

Well, that's all until next time. As Lint Monkey, Bopnopper, and Dubby like to say, Toodles!

2 comments:

dubby said...

I always wanted to learn to fish when I was a kid, but that was for BOYS! Now I realize my mom liked fishing more than my dad. I shoulda nagged a bit more...

Obliviocelot said...

I always wanted to fish when I was young, but now that I'm older and actually live in a fishing town, I find that I no longer have any interest in it. Call me a sissy, but I would feel bad killing any fish I caught, and if I threw it back in, I'd feel almost as bad for terrifying the poor thing.