Saturday, June 28, 2008

Narnia: 2

Wow! Time sure seems to fly by! It seems like only yesterday that I last posted on my blog....I guess not!

Late this afternoon, Mark and I finally went and saw the second "Narnia" movie. We went with a good friend of ours, Michelle, who was able to get the movie tickets for us for absolutely free. Michelle and her husband are the Webelos' den leaders in our Cub Scout Pack, and Michelle works as a nurse in one of the Baptist Primary Care doctor's offices. One of the frills of working for the Baptist Health Care System is free movie tickets...as many as you want, all year long! Right now, Michelle's husband, Larry, and her youngest son, Shawn, are visiting relatives up in Minnesota. They've been up there since June 5th. Michelle was kinda getting lonely, so she asked us to go to the "Narnia" movie with her. After the movie, we all ate supper at Steak 'n Shake.

We all liked the second "Narnia" movie, but I think I liked the first one better. We're looking forward to the opening and showing of the newest Disney/Pixar film, "Wall E." It looks like it's going to be hilarious! We know better than to go to a movie on its opening weekend. We usually go see a movie after it has been showing for at least 2-3 weeks.

Hey! I have a question for the Old Man...Do you ever read the comments people leave on your blog? Just wondering. I've been waiting to get "tagged" by you for what seems like eons!

That's all for now, folks!

4 comments:

Obliviocelot said...

When I first heard they were putting Narnia on film, I was horrified that they were going to completely ruin the entire series of books for me. I was pleasantly surprised with the movies, though. They did a pretty good job on them, deviated from the books just enough without killing them for me. (The Harry Potter movies sucked and ruined the remaining books for me as well.) I was just a little disappointed with the second movie just because I thought Peter was a bit of an idiot, and I wasn't a fan of the little romance the producer decided to throw in between Susan and Caspian. Totally unnecessary. But all in all, the movies were actually worth seeing.

And I'm looking forward to seeing Wall-E (Wall E.? WallE? Whatever) as well. It looks cute. :D

Auntie C said...

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed in Peter's "character" in this movie, too. Also, I thought attempting to throw in a little romance between Susan and Prince Caspian was stupid! There was no time for a "true romance" to have actually developed between the two of them. BLAH!

Mark and I never finished reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" when we were young. We'd like to do so now, after seeing the movies. I'm glad to hear that the movie makers didn't deviate from the books very much!

I'm sorry to hear that the icky Harry Potter movies ruined the remaining books for you. Mark and I "listened" to the final Harry Potter Book. It was on 17 CDs, and altogether lasted 22 hours! The narrator, Jim Dale, kept it pretty interesting. It's amazing how many different "character voices" he can do really well!

dubby said...

Allen called yesterday to say WallE was wonderful.

Old Man With a radio transmitter in his car said...

Okay, "TAG!", You're it.

I check my blog every few days, except when I'm traveling or really busy, which between those two, is most of the time.

For example, I've been in an academic conference (AIS Educator's Association) in Fort Collins since Thursday. I've been getting up at 6:30 am, breakfast at 7, plenary at 8, sessions begin at 9, until lunch at 12, sessions begin at 1 and end at 5. There's just enough time to change clothes and check email, then it's the reception at 6, dinner at 8, which lasts until about 11, then it's off to bed to do it over again Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

This morning, I set the alarm for 4:40 a.m. (Fort Collins time), left at 5:15 for the Denver Airport. After turning in the rental car at taking the shuttle to the terminal, I checked in and got on the plane to Little Rock (Arkansas), changed planes in Little Rock, to Dulles. Changed planes in Dulles, and got to the Shenandoah airport at 5 p.m. Shenandoah time. They've lost my luggage. (Actually, it's not lost, I know exactly where it is, it is in Little Rock Arkansas where the idiots took it off the plane and didn't put it back on when the plane left for D.C.!)

Immediately upon arriving at the house, I took Debbie out to dinner, then we stopped by CostCo and a friend's house who has having trouble getting photos out of her camera into her computer. We got home a few minutes ago, and now it's 10 p.m. Eastern time, and I'm spending a few minutes checking email and had a couple minutes for the blogs before turning in. It's been a long day.

I operate with my calendar packed full all the time. I don't keep much "slop" or flexibility in my calendar. I get a lot accomplished that way, but it doesn't leave room for things to go wrong, or for "unnnecessary" things like daily blogging.

Hiking in the wilderness, however, is more than just an "unnecessary" fun activity. It is my spiritual renewal. Like Lint Monkey, I get refreshed and renewed mentally and physically by a demanding 10 mile hike up 3,000 vertical feet, as long as I'm alone when I get there, and can enjoy the peace and quiet and serenity and solitude of the wilderness.

I love the wilderness. And to think... I'm a Republican! Boggles the mind, eh? ;-) (wink)